Friday, August 6, 2010

8 X 30 Project 22- XXX and Girls are Home!!!

Today I drove to Lazy F Camp to pick the girls up. They had such a fantastic time at the camp. They didn't stop talking about it, even after I put them to bed tonight.

Sounds like the first two days were a little rough for them. Gracie threw up the first night, but sounded excited that she got to sleep in the nurses cabin. Then Molly had the tubbing accident and had to go to the ER for an xray on her wrist. No broken bones this time, just a pretty bad bruise.

Sounds like from their stories, they were able to do rock climbing, team building exercises, hiking, tubbing, fishing, crafts, archery, dance, drama, and a survival day with the military. That might be just half of what they told me, they told me a lot. Every child there also received a Operation Purple backpack, water bottle, cap, and Tshirt. OH...AND BOY WERE THEY DIRTY STINKY KIDS!

Gracie told me about 100 times that she ate an ant and it taste like a lemon drop. Then Molly also tried rattle snake. The Army men that came for survival day caught a rattle snake and cooked it up for the kids. They told me stories of the kids dancing around the fire with the rattle. Reminded me of Lord of the Flies.  Molly even lost another tooth! That leaves only four more for her.

Operation Purple Camps are camps for Military kids, our little heros here at home. I am included this link Operation Purple Camp for more information. When it first started out there were only 1000 children and now they serve up to 30000 kids every year. What a fantastic program this is and what fantastic opportunity they have provided for my girls.


Water Olympics Gracie is in the blue.

Does this kid look happy or what?

I think this was Molly's favorite activity.

The girls she bunked with.

Looks like craft time.

Graice Jumped rope in the talent show.

Molly caught a fish.

Gracie telling the parents and the campers about the Wall of Honor. She said this is my dad Travis Likes and he is out to sea. Funny how kids are about their parents. There was one little girl who's dad has been out four times now for 15 months each.

Molly's Cabin Leaders.

So on the way home I decided to stop and have lunch with the girls at The XXX Rootbeer Drive In. This place is all out fun. Sorta like Disney and Disney like prices too. It was really fun to go and check this place out. I recommend this as a tourist stop, especially for pictures. Make sure to bring cash, and lots of it, they only except cash. I will however say this again, this is a tourist place, the root beer is good, the place is super fun, and the food is mediocre, but still a must see. 


Hunter said, "Hey mom look at all those old CDs." I reply,"Um...yeah...Hunter, those are called records, they also play music." LOL

These came with the kids meals. When I was a kid I remember going to a place that had these too. Or maybe it was that mixed drink at Jungle Jims. :)

This sign just cracked me up.



Lots of fun today. A good day for us. Now to start into our routine. Gracie is getting new glasses tomorrow. Will post some pics!!! 

We miss you Travis. The girls got your emails at camp. They loved them.

2 comments:

Jenn D. said...

Just had to let you know that your comment about Lord of the Flies made me laugh out loud.

Sounds like they had a really great time at camp :)

Travis Likes said...

Wow, looks like they had a blast. They will have good memories of this forever. That was really nice that they could do it. I am elated about the latest news here. I can't wait to see those girls. I can't believe Molly tried rattlesnake. Gracie and the bug I believe. It is funny to see Molly holding giant Juju. I am sure she was happy to see her.
Love,
T


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones